Friday 11 February 2011

Dodgy car use statistics - 91% single occupancy in rush hour

I walk to work ( at the Create Centre) from Beauley Road).

In recent days it is odd but I have seen almost alternating fairly clear Coronation Road with it backing all the way up to -w ell Gaol Ferry and beyond (I can't see).

So - I decided to count occupancy of cars coming in to Bristol - lorries excluded, and I curiously got to 100 at the point I turned off (the footpath down to Create past the sewage works, or whatever it is)


91 had 1 person in them, 9 had two.

Not quite statistically significant (error plus or minus 10%?) but still a lesson in the huge distance we have to go to produce a sustainable transport system - where most people travel by public transport, cycle or walk - or more to the point live near to where they work ie a true local economy....

1 comment:

  1. "91 had 1 person in them, 9 had two"

    Blimey! Chaos or coincidence? I just posted the comment below on Pete's blog, in response to his observation of 79 people on nearly 7 buses, but it fits here all too aptly.

    Yup, sounds about right.

    I use bus services often - I refuse to get a car - and from my direct experience the problem is not with the bus service, the problem is with people. Most people just don't choose to use public transport. Or walking. or cycling. Or even car-sharing.

    Most people only want to drive their own personal private car, and no amount of money poured into public transport, or walking, or cycling routes is going to change that.

    ReplyDelete